Financial aiD

Getting Started

Grants and Scholarships

Student Loans

Student Employment

Student Expenses

Contact us



Steps Educational Loans

Direct Loans are low-interest loans for students and parents to help pay for the cost of a student's education after high school. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education rather than a bank or other financial institution. Direct Loans can be Subsidized or Unsubsidized. Loans taken in the name of the parent are called "PLUS" loans.

A student may also take out an Alternative Loan through the Financial Aid Office at New Hope Christian College. Alternative loans are not a part of the Federal Direct Loan Program and carry different rates and regulations than standard student loans.

Apply for a Student Loan

Subsidized Direct Loan
Subsidized Loans are awarded based on need determined by a federal formula applied to information students supply on the FAFSA. The government pays the interest on subsidized loans.

Unsubsidized Direct Loan
Unsubsidized Loans are not awarded based on financial need. Any student not in default can take out an unsubsidized loan up to their loan limits. The student does not have to pay the interest on unsubsidized loans while the student is in school.

Apply for a PLUS Loan

PLUS Loans (Parent Loans)
PLUS loans are used to cover educational expenses not covered by Direct Loans. These loans are only available to parents of dependent students.

Alternative Loans
Alternative loans can be taken out by the student if there are still costs to be covered after Stafford Loan limits are reached. These loans are not governed by the same regulations of Stafford and PLUS loans. If the student does not have sufficient credit built up, a co-signer will be required.

Apply for a Private Education Loan